OR WAIT null SECS
Beaches are, perhaps unsurprisingly, hotbeds for summer tourism. This season, eight of the top 10 most popular summer value destinations are East Coast seaside vacations, according to TripAdvisor. For the best deals, TripAdvisor tells you what dates are best to visit the shore in Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Maine and Maryland.
Thanks to a report from TripAdvisor, it is more simple than ever to plan an affordable domestic vacation at some of the best beaches in the U.S.
New Jersey beaches rate among the top 10 most popular summer trips for those seeking a moderately priced getaway, according to TripAdvisor’s 2017 Summer Vacation Value Report. In terms of the Jersey Shore’s best, Wildwood Crest ranked first place, Ocean City came in second and Cape May holds the no. 10 spot.
TripAdvisor’s report highlights the top 50 domestic destinations for U.S. travelers based on the increase in seasonal hotel bookings. The report also lists the least expensive week for vacationers.
Related: More Travel Coverage
The vast majority of bargain weeks occur before or after the heart of summer season. Arrive at Wildwood Crest at the end of Memorial Day weekend on Monday, May 29 and stay through June 4 for savings of about 60 percent compared to the most expensive weeks to visit. Book a week in Destin, FL, from August 21 to 27, and the savings come close to 50 percent.
In May, children are likely taking final exams and could be back in school as soon as August. So, while neither of these travel times function for families, couples can take full advantage of the information provided by TripAdvisor. The least expensive week to visit Branson, MS, is August 21 to 27, and TripAdvisor tallies the savings at 21 percent. Hang out in Hilton Head, SC, or visit Galveston, Texas, from August 28 to September 3 and save 24 and 23 percent, respectively.
TripAdvisor’s Top 20 U.S. Summer Hot Spots for Value Vacations
1. Wildwood Crest, New Jersey, $243 average nightly hotel rate
2. Ocean City, New Jersey, $267 average nightly hotel rate
3. Lake George, New York, $188
4. Bar Harbor, Maine, $237
5. Ocean City, Maryland, $290
6. Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, $264
7. Ogunquit, Maine, $233
8. West Yellowstone, Montana, $339
9. Montauk, New York, $482
10. Cape May, New Jersey, $313
11. Estes Park, Colorado, $205
12. Traverse City, Michigan, $262
13. Jackson, Wyoming, $393
14. Virginia Beach, Virginia, $271
15. Anchorage, Alaska, $246
16. Lake Placid, New York, $281
17. North Conway, New Hampshire, $188
18. Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, $188
19. Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, $227
20. South Lake Tahoe, California, $218
Follow Candyce H. Stapen on Twitter: @FamilyiTrips