OR WAIT 15 SECS
Kristen Mott is the associate editor for Dental Products Report and Digital Esthetics.
From in-office treatments to home care products, we’ve compiled some of the top options available.
While most patients know the importance of brushing and flossing, they may not understand the benefits of the various in-office preventive care treatments available to them. Preventive dentistry is critical to maintaining good oral health, and this is especially true for pediatric patients. According to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, 42 percent of children ages 2 to 11 have had dental caries in their primary teeth.
Fortunately, there are many products at clincians’ disposal to alter this statistic and help patients of all ages take charge of their oral health. From in-office treatments such as fluoride varnishes and sealants to home care products like oral irrigators, we’ve compiled some of the top options available.
Click through the slides to check out the products.
• Riva Star is a new-generation silver diamine fluoride desensitizer that’s designed to immediately relieve tooth sensitivity.
• Unlike any other SDF-based system, Riva Star’s two-step globally patented procedure minimizes the risk of staining the tooth black.
• The unique capsule system is color coded and extremely easy to use, saving the clinician and patient time.
800-228-5166 | sdi.com.au
Pro-DenRx 5% Sodium Fluoride Varnish
• Pro-DenRx 5% Sodium Fluoride varnishes are single-unit doses that eliminate the need for cleanup or mixing.
• Application provides 22,600 ppm of fluoride that’s said to be able to offer hypersensitivity relief for up to six months.
• The varnish is designed to set rapidly in the presence of saliva, which improves patient comfort.
800-433-6628 | denmat.com
• Iris, a 5% NaF Varnish, is an in-office topical fluoride treatment packaged in a convenient unit-dose package.
• The varnish is visible for ease of use, and it blends to a natural white tooth color and is virtually undetectable following application.
• Iris sets rapidly on contact with saliva and has an advanced uptake - up to 8-hour fluoride release.
800-GO-BENCO | benco.com
• FluoroDose fluoride varnish is designed to dry in seconds upon contact with saliva and remain on the tooth for six to eight hours for optimum fluoride uptake.
• It contains 5 percent sodium fluoride, the maximum dosage allowed, in a convenient single-use LolliPack®.
• FluoroDose is FDA-cleared for treating dental sensitivity.
800-235-5862 | centrixdental.com
• Icon Proximal is a revolutionary resin infiltration solution for treating incipient caries.
• Its breakthrough micro-invasive technology is designed to fill and reinforce demineralized enamel with no drilling or anesthesia in just one visit.
• Icon Proximal is engineered to arrest the progress of early enamel lesions up to the first third of dentin without unnecessary loss of healthy tooth structure.
800-662-6383 | dmg-america.com
Nupro® product line
• Nupro White Varnish, a uniquely formulated varnish for hypersensitivity relief, is designed to release more than seven times the amount of fluoride than the leading varnish brand over a two-hour period and requires a shorter wear time compared to other leading varnish brands.
• Nupro Prophy Paste features excellent stain removal and polishing performance in a unique proprietary formulation designed to deliver consistent, splatter-free performance.
Dentsply Sirona Preventive
844-848-0137 | dentsplysirona.com/en-us/products/preventive.html
Advantage Arrest Silver Diamine Fluoride 38%
• Advantage Arrest Silver Diamine Fluoride 38%, the first and only American-made SDF, features a tinted formula to enhance placement visualization.
• It’s an immediate and effective desensitizer (D9910) and discloser of incipient lesions (D1354).
• Advantage Arrest is available both in an economical 8 mL bottle as well as unit-dose packaging for enhanced asepsis and patient presentation.
Elevate Oral Care
877-866-9113 | elevateoralcare.com
MI Paste® ONE
• A two-in-one application (toothpaste and MI Paste Plus®) containing RECALDENT™ (CPP-ACP) and fluoride in a cool mint flavor.
• The paste is designed to release bioavailable calcium, phosphate and fluoride as much as MI Paste Plus®, and it’s free of sodium lauryl sulfate.
• MI Paste® ONE is engineered to be gentle to the tooth but with high cleaning efficacy.
800-323-7063 | gcamerica.com
ACCLEAN® One Step Varnish
• An easy-to-use, translucent varnish that’s designed to set on contact with saliva and dry to a natural tooth color.
• The varnish is said to deliver the highest fluoride concentration available with a smooth and even application.
• The 5% sodium-fluoride varnish is available in convenient 0.4 mL unit-dose packaging with an application brush and five great-tasting flavors.
800-DSCHEIN | henryschein.com
• A self-etching sealant intended to be used as a preventive measure in patients with a higher risk for developing cavities.
• The material works by sealing the occlusal pits and fissures in permanent teeth with a waterproof layer resin.
• Its excellent bonding strength on enamel is designed to provide a long-lasting seal, and the fluoride release protects against tooth decay.
516-246-2743 | itena-clinical.com/us
• Cervitec Plus is the only chlorhexidine varnish recommended by the ADA for applying a 1:1 mixture of chlorhexidine/thymol varnish every three months to reduce the incidence of root caries.
• It’s designed to firmly adhere to tooth surfaces creating a thin, clear shield of long-lasting protection.
• Cervitec Plus is supplied in a high-yielding multi-dose form and individually portioned single-dose units.
800-533-6825 | ivoclarvivadent.us
• TEETHMATE DESENSITIZER is a powder/liquid HydroxyApetite (HAP)-based desensitizer.
• It’s designed to be used for treatment of exposed dentin, treatment of dentin after scaling/root planning, and treatment of surfaces before/after bleaching.
• The material is engineered to form a physical plug inside the dentinal tubules, which offers clinical relief in excess of six months.
Kuraray Noritake Dental
800-879-1676 | kuraraydental.com
Patterson® 5% Sodium Fluoride White Varnish
• The varnish is ideal for the treatment of dentinal hypersensitivity and the reduction of postoperative sensitivity.
• It has a smooth consistency for fast and easy application of a thin, even layer on the tooth surface.
• Can be applied to enamel and dentin.
800-873-7683 | pattersondental.com
Philips Sonicare AirFloss Pro
• With new triple-burst technology, Philips Sonicare AirFloss Pro delivers three bursts of air and liquid designed to disrupt and remove plaque along the gumline and in hard-to-reach areas.
• Philips Sonicare AirFloss Pro is proven to remove 99.9 percent of plaque biofilm.
• The power flosser is equipped with a high-performance nozzle and customizable burst settings for a personalized flossing experience.
888-744-5477 | philipsoralhealthcare.com
• Award-winning BioCoat™ with SmartCap Technology is said to be the only bioactive resin sealant that delivers daily remineralization.
• This patented technology is engineered to provide the benefits of extended release of calcium, phosphate and fluoride ions to strengthen tooth enamel and protect against acid attacks.
• BioCoat’s 56 percent filled resin formula provides added strength and excellent long-term resistance to wear.
888-670-6100 | premusa.com
• The VellaMini 5% Fluoride Varnish package is uniquely designed to dispense easily on the back of a glove, moving your workspace closer to the oral cavity and freeing up one hand for cheek retraction.
• VellaMini’s clear, thin layer formula is designed to go on easy, offering improved esthetics and mouth feel to help with patient compliance.
• The formula features patented NuFluor®, a combination chemistry containing fluoride, calcium and phosphate to give patients added protection, and it delivers fast fluoride release and uptake at two hours.
Preventive Technologies (Preventech)
800-474-8681 | preventech.com
• Embrace™ Varnish is said to release 10 times more fluoride than the leading varnish in four hours.
• The varnish also contains xylitol-coated calcium and phosphate to help restore minerals to teeth that have been weakened by dietary sugars.
• Embrace Varnish is designed to act as a desensitizer and fill superficial, non-carious enamel lesions, and it’s ideal for patients of all ages.
800-343-4342 | pulpdent.com
• Enamelast is a 5% sodium fluoride varnish with a patented adhesion-promoting agent for enhanced retention, allowing for superior fluoride release and uptake.
• In addition to its silky texture, Enamelast is designed to appear nearly invisible against the teeth.
• Available in Walterberry, Cool Mint, Bubble Gum and Orange Cream flavors.
888-230-1420 | ultradent.com
• By merging the latest Waterpik® Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush technologies, Sonic-Fusion® enables brushing and flossing at the same time, creating the world’s first and only flossing toothbrush.
• As the sonic toothbrush head cleans tooth surfaces, the Water Flosser jet inside the brush head targets plaque and debris between teeth and below the gumline.
• The flexible device also allows for brushing and flossing separately with the touch of a button.
800-525-2774 | waterpik.com/sonic-fusion
3M™ Vanish™ 5% Sodium Fluoride White Varnish
• Vanish™ White Varnish contains fluoride and an innovative tri-calcium phosphate (TCP) ingredient for application to enamel and dentin for the effective treatment of hypersensitive teeth.
• The saliva-activated formula is designed to adhere to dry or moist teeth to deliver targeted and sustained fluoride and calcium release – for up to 24 hours.
• The varnish is indicated to treat hypersensitive teeth and exposed dentin and root surface sensitivity.
800-634-2249 | 3M.com/vanish
Oral-B® GENIUS™ electric rechargeable toothbrush
• Equipped with smart features like triple pressure control, which reinforces gentle brushing, and a pro-timer that encourages brushing for at least two minutes.
• The toothbrush features Bluetooth connectivity with position detection technology, which combines cutting-edge motion sensor technology in the brush and video recognition using a smartphone’s camera to read patients’ brushing position and track areas that patients brush so that no zone is missed.
• Oral-B® oscillating-rotating-pulsating electric rechargeable toothbrushes are said to be the first electric rechargeable toothbrushes to be accepted by the ADA.
800-543-2577 | dentalcare.com/genius